Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Like My Wheaties, BUT....

I am not a big cereal eater.  I find most of them are pretending to be healthy, but contain masses of sugar and sodium.  I rather eat my good old fashioned Quaker Oats.  Wheaties are an exception.  They are relatively okay.

But here's the thing:  I can live with the bright orange, 70s style package.  But, seriously, does the daily sight of this make you want to eat your Wheaties? -->
 
Remember the scene from City Slickers when the two ice cream guys are introduced and Billy Crystal remarks that the Ira & Barry in the commercial looked different and they reply "if it were us, could you eat?"
 
Now, bear in mind that I grew up in Europe, and I am not much into motor sports per se.  So, I had no idea who this guy on the box is.  Turns out it's Dale Earnhardt of NASCAR (?!) fame.  I know nothing about NASCAR.  I know a little bit about Formula 1 and this guy.  But Mr. Dale here...?! No idea.
All I know is that I had been hesitant to pick up the Wheaties as my choice of breakfast, and I wasn't really sure why.  They tasted good.  Same as always.  What was wrong?
 
Well now, I don't want to be mean, but the blown up pink face of this guy with the whispy facial hair and the mirrored glasses.... somehow it doesn't seem very appetite inspiring to me.  Wheaties are the breakfast of champions.  Mr. Dale is a champion.  But do I need his visage grinning at me in the morning?  Uhhhh...I don't know. 

No comments: